19 April 2009

City of Lubbock, why do you destroy history?

I am a bit aggravated . . . in my work this week, I was suppose to survey an area for the City of Lubbock before they constructed a new shelter to be used as an adoption center by, at least but not limited to, the Humane Society of West Texas (that's another blog I manage on so check it out). So I go out to the property already knowing that there is a swimming pool and other structures built by the Civil Conservation Corps, dating to the 1930s and 1940s. But when I get there, what do I find? Nothing! All of the structures have been leveled and the pool filled in. Outrageous. The structures and pool may have been protected and the City may not have been able to construct their shelter their, but whether or not the city personnel who made that fateful decision knew that or not is uncertain. What is certain is the City of Lubbock does not care about its own history. I hate for things like this happen. It is a cultural resource and now it is lost. I am very happy for the city to build the animal shelter which will also include a dog park. This is a great thing and is desperately needed. But it would be nice if we didn't sacrifice history in the unnecessarily.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

You should write a letter to the editor at the newspaper! Most people don't know about this stuff and why it's important.

Shannon said...

This really irks me, too. Our society has such an attitude that everything is disposable or replaceable. And we wonder why we're in such a pickle...

Laura Flanagan said...

Was this McKenzie Park? If it is , it really is ad. My father swam at that swimming pool. It really was a neat building1

Ginny said...

Yea-That is MacKenzie Park and the pool had long been closed and they were using the structures for storage - but they could have fixed it all up